7 June 2005: for immediate release
The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament today praises activists for causing the temporary closure of the Faslane naval base in Scotland where the UK’s nuclear weapon Trident is kept. CND Chair Kate Hudson, congratulated anti-nuclear activists from the Faslane peace camp for focusing attention on Trident weeks before the G8 summit, saying “Nuclear weapons are the ultimate expression of the militarisation that makes economic globalisation possible. You can’t end poverty, unless you end war.” Twelve activists have been arrested. Two are still in trees inside the base and have been there all day. Faslane peace camp organisers of the action mark their 23rd year of ongoing resistance to the base on the 11th June.
The action comes one month before the mass blockade of the base on the 4th July, two days before the G8 summit begins. Thousands of peace activists from around the world are planning to non-violently disrupt the base to highlight the way in which the G8 uses militarism to defend and extend the globalisation that allows the exploitation of the poor and destruction of the environment. The demonstration on the 4th July, has been organised by Trident Ploughshares, CND and Scottish CND.
Kate Hudson, Chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament said,
“The peace camp’s activists have again focused attention on the central role nuclear weapons and militarism play in the economic domination by the richest powers in the world over the poorest. Nuclear weapons are the ultimate expression of the militarisation that makes economic globalisation possible. We are asking people to join us at Faslane to demonstrate the connections between war, militarism and poverty when the G8 come to Scotland next month. You can’t end poverty, unless you end war.
Notes to Editor:
1. For further information and interviews on the Faslane action call Faslane Peace Camp 01436 820901 or Andy on 07789216620
2. For further information and interviews about FaslaneG8 contact:
· Ruth Tanner CND’s Press & Communications Officer on 0207 7002350 or 07968 420859 ,
· Faslane G8 Team Press Office on 08454588366
· Joss Garman, Trident Ploughshares (London) on 07815 004 578
· David Mackenzie, Trident Ploughshares (Scotland) on 07867 6593016
3. The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) is one of Europe’s biggest single-issue peace campaigns, with over 32,000 members in the UK. CND campaigns for the abolition of all nuclear weapons everywhere.