What is an Early Day Motion?
An Early Day Motion (EDM) is a mechanism MPs can use to raise awareness of a particular issue, event, campaign, or accomplishment. At the same time, EDMs can be used to call on the Government to perform a particular action, and they enable MPs to highlight their support for a cause that is important to them. The contents of an EDM are submitted in form of an elongated sentence or statement, and whilst they are tabled in the name of one Primary Sponsor and multiple Sponsors, they are open to other MPs to sign in order to register their support. The more MPs who sign the EDM, the greater the demonstration of Parliamentary support for a particular cause or view.
Parliamentary CND regularly drafts and submits its own EDMs, and CND call on our members and supporters to request that their MP sign them.
EDMs by Parliamentary CND
Below, you will find the EDMs that Parliamentary CND is currently promoting. Please take a look and encourage your MPs to sign!
Suspension of the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (EDM 2073)
An EDM in response to the suspension of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF). It calls on the Government not to finance, deploy or assist in new intermediate-range nuclear weapons being developed or deployed in the UK or the rest of Europe in the future. Click here to view and call on your MP to sign.
US Withdrawal from Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (EDM 1744)
An EDM in response to President Trump’s decision to pull the USA out of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF). It calls on the Government to use its influence on Washington to urge the US to deal with any concerns it may have over treaty compliance through diplomatic means and to uphold its commitments to the treaty. Click here to view and call on your MP to sign.
Global Nuclear Ban Treaty (EDM 374)
An EDM in support of the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. It calls on the Government to develop and publish an appropriate transition plan so that the UK is prepared and ready to sign and ratify the treaty at the first opportunity. Click here to view and call on your MP to sign.
Below are a selection of past EDMs supported by Parliamentary CND.
- Session 2017-19 | EDM 243: Peace on the Korean Peninsula – 22 signatures
- Session 2017-19 | EDM 1122: Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Conference – 64 signatures
- Session 2015-16 | EDM 1375: Hiroshima Agreement and Nuclear Disarmament Pledge – 31 signatures
- Session 2015-16 | EDM 987: Nuclear Convoys – 58 signatures
- Session 2015-16 | EDM 956: Trident Replacement – 56 signatures
- Session 2015-16 | EDM 73: Trident and the Strategic Defence and Security Review – 96 signatures
- Session 2014-15 | EDM 642: Humanitarian Impact of Trident and Non-Proliferation Treaty – 27 signatures
- Session 2014-15 | EDM 505: UK Representation at the Vienna Conference on the Humanitarian Impact of Nuclear Weapons – 36 signatures
- Session 2014-15 | EDM 51: Defence Review 2015 and Trident Replacement – 26 signatures
- Session 2014-15 | EDM 37: Trident Replacement – 49 signatures
- Session 2013-14 | EDM 1278: Inter-Parliamentary Union and Nuclear Disarmament – 20 signatures
- Session 2013-14 | EDM 1190: Defence Review 2015 and Trident Replacement – 25 signatures
- Session 2013-14 | EDM 150: Trident Replacement – 70 signatures
- Session 2010-12 | EDM 1924: Trident Review – 82 signatures
- Session 2009-10 | EDM 380: Trident Replacement – 74 signatures
- Session 2009-10 | EDM 144: Negotiating a Nuclear Weapons Convention – 138 signatures
- Session 2008-09 | EDM 660: Parliamentary Scrutiny of Trident Replacement – 171 signatures
- Session 2008-09 | EDM 1282: Nuclear Weapons Convention – 93 signatures
- Session 2007-08 | EDM 72: Nuclear Weaopns Convention – 107 signatures
- Session 2006-07 | EDM 579: Consultation on Trident – 160 signatures