23rd September 2005: for immediate release
The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Labour CND and Labour Action for Peace are holding a fringe meeting at the Labour Party Conference at 7pm on Monday 26th September in the Montpelier Room, Royal Albion Hotel, Old Stein, Brighton. Key figures in the labour movement will demand an end to the occupation of Iraq, the withdrawal of British troops from that country, an end to the doctrine of pre-emptive wars and a future without nuclear weapons. They will be looking at these issues in the wider context of foreign polices for Labour’s third term.
Kate Hudson Chair of CND will chair a panel of speakers including former Cabinet Ministers Michael Meacher MP and Tony Benn. They will be joined by CND Vice Chair Jeremy Corbyn, MP, Linda Riordan MP, former Labour MP Alice Mahon, Keith Sonnet, Deputy General Secretary of Unison and Iraqi novelist Haifa Zangana
Kate Hudson, Chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament said,
“The Prime Minister is dangerously out of touch with public opinion. Blair refuses to acknowledge that the terrible attacks on London in July were related to UK foreign policy. Instead he continues down the path of war and occupation. War is not the answer. Terrorism and violence, whether perpetrated by state or non-state actors do not solve the world’s complex problems.
There must be real turn around in Labour’s third term. A commitment to pursue peaceful solutions, based on negotiation rather than war as a first response to international disputes and crises would be an indispensable contribution to the security of Britain and the world.”
Kate Hudson will also be speaking Labour Against the War’s – Iraq: End the Occupation, Bring the Troops Home! Meeting on Sunday 25th September 2005 (7-9pm) at Friends Meeting House, Ship Street, Brighton
Notes to Editor
1. For further information and interviews please contact Ruth Tanner CND’s Press & Communications Officer on 07968 420859
2. CND’s Labour Party briefing will be available by contacting Ruth Tanner on 07968 420859
3. CND’s up-to-date briefing on Preventing Trident Replacement
4. No more wars-no more bombing. Foreign Policy for Labours third term Montpelier Room, Royal Albian Hotel, Old Stein, Brighton –7-9 on the 27th September 2005. The fringe meeting will be followed by a Peace Connection Social
5. The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) is one of Europe’s biggest single-issue peace campaigns, with over 32,000 members in the UK. CND campaigns for the abolition of all nuclear weapons everywhere.